Sunday, February 27, 2011

here and now


I wrote this a couple weeks ago. Seemed pretty profound at the time. It accompanies another song that goes before it. Hence the "afterward." Is it afterward or afterword? Both seem appropriate. There's a chord in here that the song ends on that is picked up from Hum's I'd Prefer an Astronaut cd. Unconsciously at first then consciously later. I used to think that if other people's music somehow found its way into your own that it minimized the originality of the music. I don't think so any more. See Ecclesiastes for amplification. And what's more I no longer believe that it's my music. And what logically follows is that I no longer believe that it's your music either. Equally absurd to me would be the claim that the original painter to derive the yellow pigment that created his yellow paint owned the color yellow and if any other painter used yellow they were being disingenuous. If the ineffable muses that inhabit the thoughts, minds and actions of artists decide to reiterate themselves then artists offering themselves up as willing servants are beholden to oblige.

Sincerely,
Your Humble Servant

No comments: